History Features & Programs
The Bays Mountain Park Association volunteers who created this site also work closely with Park Staff to add history-related features and programs to the Park.
History Hikes & Presentations – find events on the Park website or Facebook page for our upcoming History programs. We’re currently offering history talks on Hikes, inside the Farmstead Museum, and on scenic Barge rides. Do you have a group or club that would like a special history talk just for you? Email us and we’ll make it happen!
History Panels – In August 2022 the BMPA History Committee worked with Park Staff to design and fund a history panel on the west side of the Dam. Go check it out! The panel highlights the family who served as the Filter Plant Operators in the 1920s. More panels are planned at other historic sites, telling the story of each location.
- A history panel at the Bays Mountain Schoolhouse! After over 100 years of speculation, the schoolhouse site was found and verified by BMPA History volunteers
- We’ve found evidence of an old trail/road that ran from Azalea Trail and crossed over River Mountain to the Netherland/Old Kingsport area
- Was the schoolhouse moved? We know of its final location, but we’ve found clues that it might’ve once sat in another location 1/2 mile away, years earlier
Coming soon? Other projects being considered include:
- A Fire Tower history panel
- An 1800s homestead exhibit located on an actual home foundation
And remember: To help us develop more History Features & Programs at Bays Mountain Park, please DONATE!